A great backpack is a versatile gear of training and everyday commute, keeping your belongings organised and comfortable to carry. And while AmSTRONG packs are built from quality and durable materials, with regular care and cleaning you can make sure that they last for as long as possible.
When it comes to cleaning, backpacks can be tricky to wash because most backpacks are not machine washable, unlike garments. It means you have to do it yourself… WITH CARE.
In order to prevent your backpack from color fading and losing its durability and shape in the wash, there are a few things you can do to keep it looking clean and fresh like it is brand new.✨
How often should I wash my backpack: It’s essential to wash it whenever it's filthy and muddy. However, excessive exposure to water and moist, say washing it too often, can cause irreversible damages to the fabric. Brushing down dirt and spot-cleaning are suggested alternatives if your backpack is only slightly soiled.
For Light Cleaning
Simply wipe your backpack with a damp cloth, remove the dirt. Then, air dry it.
For Deep Cleaning
- Empty your backpack (check all pockets!). Shake it upside down to get rid of sands, dirt and crumbs from the inside.
- Fill your tub or a large bucket with cold water and submerge your backpack.
- Lightly scrub any stubborn stains with a soft-bristled brush and mild soapy water.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Find a well-ventilated area. Leave all pockets open and hang your backpack upside down to air dry it.
- Make sure that the bag is thoroughly dry after every wash to avoid mould.
Never forget the zipper! Gently wipe the teeth with soft sponge to remove dust and stains like salts from your sweat / sea water. (Salt is one of the most corrosive things to zippers!)
Say NO to…
❌ Washing machines and tumble dryers
❌ Dry cleaning
❌ Hot water
❌ Submerging the bag in water for too long
❌ Detergents, solvents and any harsh chemicals
❌ Air-drying backpacks under direct sunlight
These are not recommended because they possibly damage the fabrics and protective coatings.
💡Use our non-woven bag included in each pack, to keep your backpack away from dust and direct sunlight when you’re not going to use it for some time.
If you like this article, share it to your social media!